How to Encrypt a USB Flash Drive: We all use USB drives to transfer data on an everyday basis. However, some of us store private or confidential files on our pen drives. So we need to protect such data. And the best way to protect the files is to encrypt USB flash drive. So today in this very particular article, we are going to talk about how to encrypt a USB flash drive easily. So keep reading up to the end.
Do you often carry all your important documents in a Pendrive? Well if the answer is yes then you need to encrypt USB drive. You must realize that if your USB drive gets lost, you will lose all the data. On the other hand, another person will have complete access to your files. So it is very important to encrypt your USB flash drive.
How to Securely Encrypt a USB Flash Drive
There are many ways by which you can encrypt your USB flash drive. However, in this very particular article, we are going to discuss only the best among them. So without any further wait, let’s get started.
1. How to Encrypt a Flash Drive Using the BitLocker
BitLocker is a third party software which provides security services. It can help you to secure your USB drive and your confidential files inside it. BitLocker is very simple to use software. It is so easy that even a non-technical person can use it on the first try. We are giving full detailed steps down below to get you started with the software.
1. Insert your USB drive to your PC and open it on your My computer tab.
2. Right click on your device and then select Turn on BitLocker option.
3. A new popup window will appear on your screen. You can select how you want to unlock and the level of security you need.
4. After setting it up, simple click on Next. After that, you need to fill few files for reset password procedure. This is beneficial in case you forget your password.
5. Then click on the next button and then select the portion of drive which you want to encrypt and then click Next button.
6. Select your encryption method then click on next button. Wait for the encryption process to complete.
7. Congratulations! you have successfully encrypted your pen drive using BitLocker.
How to Encrypt a Flash Drive Using the VeraCrypt
There are gazillions of third-party encryption software out there. So it becomes hard for people to choose the best software. however, most of the software claims to be 100% safe. but we are making you aware that no encryption in 100% safe. hackers can still crack it if they try hard enough.
Thankfully there are a few software like VeraCrypt which adds a very powerful type of encryption. It is the only software I know which has been checked for their encryption techniques under military security standards. So if you want to keep your data safe, then you can always rely on VeraCrypt. Down below is a fully detailed procedure on how to use Veracrypt to encrypt your USB drive.
1. Download the latest version of VeraCrypt on your PC and install it.
2. After installing the software, launch it and you will see a dashboard with all the options.
3. Click on “Create Volume” button then. A popup window will appear on your screen. Then you have to select “Create an encrypted file container” option and hit Next on your screen.
4. Select “Standard VeraCrypt Volume” on the next screen and click on Next.
5. In the next window, you will see a lot of options. You have to choose Removal Disk from there and click on the next button.
6. Now you have to select the type of encryption you want on your USB drive. If you are not sure, just keep it blank and press the next button.
7. On the next screen, select your volume password and click on the next button.
8. In the next window, you will be given the option to copy your entire data to the outer volume of the disk. Do it.
9. After you are done with this, you have to do the same for the hidden volume.
10. Select the encryption type, size of the hidden volume and then a volume password. Click on format and that’s it!
So, Guys, this how you can encrypt a USB drive easily. If you’re facing any problems then feel free to comment down below. I will be happy to help you out. Thanks for reading and have a wonderful day.