Years ago, if you asked someone what a casino was, they’d likely describe a brick-and-mortar establishment full of smartly dressed people, security guards, cocktail bars, table games, and slot machines. Of course, these places still exist, and they can be a lot of fun if you’re willing to put the effort in to visit one. However, these days, millions of people around the world enjoy spending time playing games at online casinos instead – and the United States is certainly no different. Whether you’re interested in table games or slots, there’s something for everyone. Plus, you can get involved from the comfort of your home or even when you’re out and about, if you’ve got an internet connection.
However, legal restrictions have excluded people in certain states from taking part in this online hobby. Nevertheless, as digital platforms have continued to evolve and legislators have debated about how to manage online gambling, sweeps casinos have now emerged as a fantastic solution for those unable to join in with traditional online casinos. So, how do these sweeps casinos work and why are they so popular?
What Are Sweeps Casinos?
If you’re familiar with regular online casinos, you’ll recognize most of what you see at sweeps casinos. Also known as sweepstakes casinos, they house many of the things people enjoy about online casinos, such as card games and slot machines.
If that’s something that interests you, you’ll also be happy to learn that many sweeps casinos also give players bonuses to play with. Everyone enjoys playing for free, so it makes a lot of sense for them to keep their player bases interested by providing incentives for signing up, playing regularly, and completing tasks.
How Do Sweeps Casinos Work?
When people talk about how sweeps casinos work differently, they’re generally referring to the currency system.
Let’s start with how a regular online casino works:
- A player will sign up for an account with an online casino.
- The player will deposit some money into their account. Sometimes, they will receive a bonus here if the online casino is running a promotion.
- Once the player has deposited some money, they can then use it to play and gamble on the games they enjoy, such as card games and slot machines.
Although sweeps casinos contain many of the same games as traditional online casinos and look similar, they operate differently and use two types of currency:
Gold Coins (or Equivalent)
The first currency used at sweeps casinos is Gold Coins. When a player wants to play, they must buy Gold Coins to do so. These can be used to play games but do not hold any monetary value and, therefore, cannot be redeemed for cash prizes.
However, players will often be given free Sweeps Coins as a bonus when purchasing Gold Coins.
Sweeps Coins (or Equivalent)
The second currency used at sweeps casinos is Sweeps Coins. They are given as free bonuses for things like registering for an account, buying Gold Coins, daily login bonuses, giveaways, and so on.
Sweeps Coins can be used to play games at sweeps casinos. Like Gold Coins, they also do not hold any monetary value themselves. However, Sweeps Coins differ from Gold Coins because they can be exchanged for prizes, including real money. If you exchange your Sweeps Coins for real money, you can then withdraw it.
Why Are Sweeps Casinos So Popular?
Sweeps casinos are popular for lots of reasons, including the fact that a lot of people find them fun to play on – just like other casino establishments.
However, perhaps the main reason for their popularity is that they are often legally accessible in places where traditional online gambling is restricted. The reason for this is that they offer a free-to-play system via Sweeps Coins. Although these can be exchanged for prizes, they do not hold any monetary value, so playing with them is not a form of gambling with real money.
It’s fair to say that this free-to-play model has been a huge success, and this extensive list of sweeps casinos in the USA shows just how popular they have become recently. Undoubtedly, their popularity will continue to rise as more people learn about them.
What Are the Differences Between Sweeps Casinos and Traditional Online Casinos?
There are several differences between sweeps casinos and traditional online casinos, including but not limited to the following:
- Legal Restrictions: Sweeps casinos use a sweepstakes model, which makes them legal to use in many areas where online gambling is restricted. Traditional online casinos offer gambling services, which are heavily regulated and even illegal in many states, although the popularity of such platforms continues to grow.
- Deposit Methods: Sweeps casinos allow players to buy Gold Coins with no monetary value that can be used to play games. They also gift players Sweeps Coins to play with that can be used to redeem prizes. Traditional online casinos often allow players to deposit real money to gamble with.
- Redemption: Sweeps casinos allow players to exchange Sweeps Coins for withdrawable prizes. Traditional online casinos allow players to withdraw real cash gambling winnings.
- Business Model: Sweeps casinos mainly make money by selling Gold Coins to play games with. Traditional online casinos make money through player losses due to the house edge.
Are Sweeps Casinos Legal in All States?
No, sweeps casinos are not legal in all states. Although they are legal in most states, it is important to check whether this is the case in your location before you register for an account and start playing. It is also vital to understand that regulations can change, so don’t simply assume that sweeps casinos are legal where you live because they have been previously.
An example of a state within which sweeps casinos are not legal is Washington. Here, the Washington State Gambling Commission states that as sweeps casinos combined raffles and promotional contests, they have created a new form of contest that is not allowed within the state.
Nevertheless, sweeps casinos are legal in many states and, therefore, are providing lots of people with an opportunity to play online games.