Online security has been a big topic in recent years. Many people think that private individuals who lead a regular life are out of danger, and no one will try to attack them and neglect their cybersecurity. Many of them learned the hard way that this is not the case but at least were an excellent example for the rest of the world. One of the ways to secure yourself is using a VPN. But to understand VPNs better, let’s dig deeper into what types there are and what their use is.- Types of VPNs
Table of Contents
What is the difference between a VPN technology and a VPN service?
When we say VPN, usually, people won’t make the difference between the actual VPN technology and the VPN service. To make it all clear, let’s explain both of the terms.
- VPN technology — This is the way a VPN works. The idea of a VPN is to connect your device to an endpoint by using a private and secure connection. It will create a virtual tunnel between the two devices, and everything going through that tunnel will be encrypted and protected.
- VPN service — This is the VPN solution you will get. There are many providers you can choose from and various subscriptions that they offer. The service will include VPN software that will use the VPN technology to do its magic. Each VPN service will provide you with different types of VPN connection types. And now let’s jump into the main topic of our article.
What types of VPNs are there?
As with almost any service, you can use different types of VPNs. Each of them will create a private tunnel between your device and the endpoint, but of course, they have their differences when it comes to how they will do it, and therefore each VPN type is used for a specific purpose.
For example, if you would like to watch streaming content from all around the world on your TV, you will use a personal VPN. So, if you want to access many Netflix or Amazon Prime titles, you otherwise won’t be able to check out how to install & use VPN for FireStick. On top of the wider entertainment content you will have access to, you will be much more protected. But if a company would like to impose the use of VPN to connect to the corporate network, you will have to use remote access VPN. Do you want to know more about those two types and the others? Keep reading.
Remote access VPN- Types of VPNs
As we mentioned, the most popular use of this type of VPN is when you are working from home, and you need to connect to your corporate network. To use a remote VPN, you will have to install a piece of software already configured to connect you to only one particular endpoint. Usually, you will already get the VPN software with everything set up, and you will only have to enter a username and password. Many different devices can connect to the endpoint at the same time since you might have multiple people working from home and wanting to connect at the same time.
How does it work:
- You will download a VPN client that will either have everything set up or either you will receive guidance on how to do the configuration.
- After that, you will have to enter your username and password either every time you connect or on a regular basis.
- Once the authentication is checked, the VPN client will establish a connection with the server at the end destination.
- You will be able to access everything that is restricted and can be accessed only from the corporate network. Visit Here
A personal VPN works a bit differently because you connect your device to a random VPN server that acts as a middleman. We mean that every site you are trying to access will think that the VPN server you are connected to is trying to access it and not you. The main uses of a personal VPN are to hide your location, so you can access sites and content you usually won’t be able to, or security and anonymity. Another difference from the remote access VPN is that the server you connect to with a personal one is not a private network.
How does it work:
- You will choose a VPN provider and a subscription you would like to get.
- You will download the VPN client and configure it as you would like.
- Connect to a server you would like — In most cases, you can choose the country you would like to appear where you are connecting to the site from.
- Now you can access everything you would like in an anonymous way and hide your true IP and location.
Both remote access and personal VPNs are made to be used by people staying in one place. No matter if this is your home, office, or hotel room, it will still mean you are not on the move, and the chances of having an unstable internet connection are lower. But what if you need a VPN for when you are on the move? Well, then you can take advantage of a mobile VPN. Mobile VPN can be used similarly to a remote access one if it connects you to the corporate network while traveling or a personal one if used again to hide your true location. The difference is that even if you switch between WiFi and cellular connection or your internet access drops for a bit, this won’t affect the mobile VPN connection.
How does it work:
- You will download a VPN client.
- You will have to enter your user name and password to be authenticated.
- The connection between your device and the endpoint server will be established and won’t drop even if you have some issues with your internet connection or switch between different ones.
This type of VPN is again primarily used for business cases. The difference between a remote access VPN and a site-to-site one is what they connect to. So, the remote access VPN connects your personal network to the corporate one. But when it comes to the site-on-site one, this one is used to connect two different corporate networks that are on different sites. For example, if you have an office in New York and Washington, you will be able to establish a VPN tunnel between them using a site-to-site VPN connection. You can read more about how site-on-site VPN works here since it is more complicated.
Nowadays, using a VPN is recommended not only for companies but also for private individuals. Most businesses already ask their employees to use a remote access VPN or a site-to-site one when working remotely to ensure they protect their sensitive information. But people must recognize the danger of cyberattacks and use personal VPNs as well to protect their data and anonymity. The added bonus of access to worldwide content is not missed out on. And if you are a regular traveler who needs to work, for example, on the train, get yourself a mobile VPN.